Monday, July 27, 2009

Oh baby, it's hot!!!








So, what's been happening this past week? Um...it's hard to think when it's this hot!! We've been enjoying beautiful summer weather again this past week but the last few days feel a little like I remember Ontario weather. You open the door from an air conditioned building and there's a wall of heat & humidity that hits you! I'm not complaining - but it takes some getting used to. I just don't count on getting much done this week. In fact, I'm packing to go camping at the lake for the next few days. We'll be tenting it but having a lot of fun on the boat, I'm sure.

Here's a few photos from the past week. Alec gave Henry a certificate on Father's Day to take him out golfing at Raspberry Ridge. This is his second time golfing and he absolutely loved it! It's genetic I'm sure - just not my genes. Here's a picture of him practicing his swing on the lawn.

The next picture is of my finch feeder. I know it's only one bird but we finally have been able to attract finches. The feeder has been up for a month and I was thinking our dog & cat were just too scary for them. It appears they can live together because we now have both yellow and purple finches - especially in the morning there can be up to 5 at a time. I'm thrilled because I've always been inspired by my mom and sister who are able to attract a wide variety of birds to their back yards. What should I try next? (Not blackbirds - they came the last time I tried to feed the birds...)

The next photo is of Alec having a lot of fun at the creek. We don't have a pool this year as we decided to sell what was left of our last one. We don't always have such heat and there have been years where we spent a LOT of money on chemicals and a LOT of time keeping the pool clean only to have the kids swim in it occasionally. Henry thought a few trips to the pool made more sense. But with this number of hot days & weeks it does not make sense for me to be driving to the beach or pool each day. So we discovered that the creek down the road works well to cool oneself off. I try hard not to think about what's all in that creek so it's a firm rule that the kids shower down completely when they get home. They're making a nice little spot there. I helped to cut down some reeds today and make some steps with a shovel while Alec swam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alec, I'm impressed with your golf swing! And please send us some summer! We're forgetting what it feels like...air-conditioning and all that! We haven't had ours on at all yet this summer. And if it gets hot here we stand in the rain! Yes, you got your finches! Did you keep the feeder in the same place? Enjoy your camping...and the rest of the summer!
(Aunt) Lorraine.