Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A good book...


In my last post I mentioned I had a bit of time during swimming lessons to read. Well, I finished a good book titled "The Soloist" which someone had written about in their blog. It was a very moving (true) story about a musical genius who ends up on Los Angeles' Skid Row because of schizophrenia. The book is written by Steve Lopez, a journalist who initially is looking for a good story for his column. He ends up more involved that he could have ever imagined. The book does not have the happy ending that you would wish for, but it gives much insight on the plight of those who are mentally ill. I highly recommend it - a word of caution, however, it does contain some cursing and foul language - the setting is Skid Row so that doesn't come as a total shock...

No comments: