Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Amanda's Visit




Last Friday we were scheduled to pick up Amanda from the Seattle airport. I was counting on leaving around noon, picking up Lorelle from school to join me, and heading off at a leisurely pace to pick her up. The day before I was called by DSHS if I could take a baby who was being discharged from Seattle's Children's Hospital until the permanent foster "mom" was over a nasty flu & fever. I hesitantly agreed - not knowing what kind of weekend we would then have. This little guy turned out to be one of the sweetest babies I've taken care of. He had been hospitalized many times with respiratory problems - and so a crash course was given on inhalers, steroids, and other medications to be administered at different times of the day. Well, that was the first morning with the little guy - and Henry walks into the kitchen to remind me that Amanda's plane arrives in 2 1/2 hours. That's a bit of a problem since it's a 2 hour drive to Seattle. You never did see anyone fly around the house so fast. Lorelle didn't go to school that day and we left within the hour - baby and all. We managed to arrive on time - Lorelle went into the airport to get her but unfortunately Amanda's suitcases were not arriving. We left after they promised to deliver her suitcases that evening (don't hold your breath).

We stopped in at Pike's Place Market - a must see if you're visiting Seattle. The weather was sunny and cold. Here's a photo of the girls trying to ride the pig - it's harder than it looks, The following days were filled with fun - an evening out with 14 of us to watch a wonderful performance of "Little Women", a walk along the ocean, a drive up Mount Baker, a visit to the school and more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!! Sounds like fun having Amanda over,...I'm not so sure the pig ride would be something for me!! The younger generation dares more, I guess.
Your little guy, Corrie? Do you still have him? Let's see a photo here sometime,...just a suggestion.
Til next time, GERRY (aunt)

Anonymous said...

Hi, That photo looks familiar. I saw the girls before but also the pig. We have a picture of Alec on the same pig but he's much bigger when I see him on the John Deere. We hope to see you all in June! love, mom