Thursday, March 27, 2008

Still Learning...

On Tuesday I filled in for Miss K.'s grade 3/4 class while she was away at a seminar. Since I've taught Art to her class several times during this past year she asked if I would teach them that afternoon. I decided on a very simple project since I wouldn't have a helper. I gave them a short explanation on the life and art of Pablo Picasso (which they already knew a fair bit about, smart kids!) and then they proceeded with the project. We tried to create an imitation of Mains Aux Fleurs which required that they rip out the shapes of flowers and leaves to create a handful of flowers. I really thought this should be quite easy - what child can't rip? Well, I think their moms had sufficiently drilled into their little heads not to rip at a very young age. All afternoon I heard, "Mrs. K, can you help me? I can't rip". In the end we had 14 beautiful pieces of artwork and a very tired teacher....

As I was reading later from "Normal Kingdom Business" by Andree Seu (World Magazine writer) I was reminded of how much I have learned later in life. I think I've gained more knowledge through my children than I actually learned while I was at school. A sentence in her article read, "I don't know what the inside of your head looks like, but mine looks like Guernica". Well, I would not have known what that meant if it were not for that little lesson on Picasso yesterday. Like I said...still learning.

P.S. Some days the inside of my head does feel like Guernica...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess we are never too old to learn, like you said, even if it is learning through your children. And even kids, they remember soooo much; I have experienced that when babysitting, not to forget even the younger ones. Life is full of love and laughter. Love, Gerry