Friday, October 03, 2008

Musings on Education...

Ever since I can remember, at least during my adult years, I have regretted the fact that I did not go to University and pursue a degree. I grew up in a culture that really stressed working hard - a carry-over of the immigrant spirit that my parents grew up in. Now, I don't belittle the work ethic that was instilled in me but I do think that furthering my education would have opened different doors. Of course, looking back is not a very helpful thing to do - at least it doesn't change the future much. I graduated from a college with a two year Office Administration diploma and really was able to use my talents and skills in that area. Much has changed since those days and much has been learned. It causes me to ask the question again of how important that degree really would and could have been. Have I absorbed that somewhat "worldly" mentality that your education defines you and gives you importance?

I have had the time these past two years to ponder whether or not to return to school and begin that degree I've so long mused over. I've been very close to signing up for a Children's Literature course, but circumstances and timing didn't allow for it to become a reality. It's not a closed door. But when I look at my days and weeks and the things I accomplish I question again what is important. I am able to be a dedicated mother and wife in my home - not a small task. I am also able to be very supportive to our school - also not a small task. The opportunities to serve in our church community are endless. And all of these areas allow me to grow in ways I never imagined. I have learned more about children's literature and library administration than I probably would have gained in a university. You see my dilemma... Without enrolling in an educational institution I am able to pick and chose what I would like to learn. I can take the time to read books that I really want to read! I have the time to practice and strengthen my writing skills - something I've always wanted to do. Would I get this in a secular institution?

So I continue to muse... I may be sorely dissapointed in a formal education. I see my adult life experience as a degree in many different areas. I am sure that by now I have a degree in administration, early childhood education, business, english literature and a host of others that are not offered in an institutional setting. So, I just thank God for those opportunities and for the "life" education I've been able to complete. And, this would never have been possible if I wasn't taught the importance of hard work in the first place!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, Corrie. Our talents and abilities take us through life much further than we imagined. And daily life experience, whether married or single, God allows us to use our talents to the best of our abilities. We have so much to be thankful for.
Gerry